St. John Owasso provides patient services based on a commitment to excellence, integrated practice, education and research. Nursing care at St. John Owasso is based on the belief that the best care is accomplished through positive interpersonal relationships, especially the nurse-patient relationship. The Clinical Ladder Program exists to support professional nursing practice through ongoing growth and development.
The Clinical Ladder Program is designed to recognize our professional nursing staff for advanced performance and leadership. Objectives of the program include:
- Promote excellence in practice to assure quality patient and family care
- Develop and recognize excellence in leadership
- Keep expert nurse at the bedside
- Encourage personal and professional development
- Facilitate career advancement
- Support retention and recruitment
The Clinical Ladder Program for St. John Owasso is based on Patricia Benner’s research, "From Novice to Expert and The Primary of Caring"
which describes the levels of expertise in nursing practice based on competence and learning. The levels include novice, advanced beginner, competent, proficient, and expert nurse. The levels are distinguished by the nurse’s ability to independently implement the nursing process and individualize the plan of care based on patient or population needs.