Colon Cancer Awareness
March is Colon Cancer Awareness Month
In 2009, it was estimated that nearly 147,000 people were diagnosed and nearly 50,000 deaths occurred from colorectal cancer. Colorectal cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in the western hemisphere.
The St. John Endoscopy Services staff wants to spread the word about this preventable, treatable and beatable disease.
Who is at risk?
• Men and women equally age 50 or older.
• Ethnic groups may have a higher risk and screening may be recommended earlier than age 50.
• People with a personal or primary family history of colorectal cancer or benign (non-cancerous) colorectal polyps.
• People who use tobacco, are obese or lead a sedentary lifestyle.
• People with a personal or family history of inflammatory bowel disease such as ulcerative colitis or Crohn’s disease.
How is this preventable?
• Get informed
• Get screened
• Get treated